Musings

These are my random thoughts. I like to pretend to be very intellectual. Sometimes my posts are deep and sometimes they are about the weather, but they are always worth reading ;)

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Home at last... I think?

I've been back in Summerville now for five days. I finished up exams on Saturday and headed home with Mommy Dearest and Bruddy that afternoon. Sunday I was very excited that we got to spend almost all day in Charleston and I didn't have to stress about school. Monday I spent most of the day getting settled with my things (and no, I did not bring home too many clothes or shoes). I got to spend almost all afternoon with Max playing Guitar Hero and watching black widow spider documentaries. ;)
Then came Tuesday... work starts. I only worked in the morning and about two hours after I came home I was bored already. I'm very glad to have a job to go to everyday to fill the time. I can't imagine not working, what do unemployed, childless people do?
After a long conversation with one of my friends the other day, we both came to the realization that we are no longer "living" in our houses. We are guests that come with suitcases and we have a forseeable end to our stay. Now when we come "home" it's for a visit (even if mine is three months long). Even though it's easy enough to slip back into everyday life with my family like I never left, sometimes I find myself standing in the kitchen wondering where something that I have never seen before gets put away or trying to figure out how to work the new dryer.
Now I'm looking forward to going "home" to Clemson after the summer is over. I feel like right now that's where I find my belongingness. Most of my stuff is there and my closest friends. Even though I still feel like I'm at home in Summerville, in the back of my head I know that I'm just here for a little while and that I'll be gone after a few months. It's a strange feeling because I know I'm not going to be living in my apartment in Clemson for the rest of my life but I don't know where I will move after that... to Summerville or somewhere else? Where will my new "home" be?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice thoughtful post. Though you are only here for a "visit", I hope you always feel that this is your home until you begin to build your own.

And, um, yes you brought home too many clothes and shoes.

Love ya.

Anonymous said...

Hey Clemson person (yuk) Thanks for the mention, I guess this proves you still love me even though i'm somewhere between "the other people and the dog" LOL,Be sweet.